William Mutch born 29 May 1835 in the parish of Tyrie - died 27 December 1911 at 6 Church Street, New Pitsligo in the parish of Tyrie
~ His father was Alexander Mutch [A25]
~ Spouse Ann Adams born 1830
They married 31 October 1857 in the parish of Crimond.
I did some research on this family when a visited Orkney. They first appear in the 1861 census for Stromness. William and Ann, together with Ann Will and John, are staying with William's parents and brothers on 183 acres at Sunny Brays ?
By 1871 William has taken over the as farmer of the 183 acres now called Whomsly as it appears his father has died. Also listed are wife Ann, children, Adam Will, Ann Will, John, Eliza, Harriet and Williamina. William's mother Elisabeth also lives with them.
By 1881 William is farming 160 acres at Quholmsley. Adam Will and John have left while all others are as 1871, plus Andreww aged 4 months. William's mother is not listed.
This family is no longer listed in the 1891 census and it looks like they returned to the mainland.
Her father was James Adams and her mother was Ann Will
~ Children were:
- Adam Will Mutch born 6 July 1854 in the parish of Lonmay. I found Adam in the 1871 census for Stromness in Orkney aged 16. This led me to his birth record in IGI as Adamwill Adam [sic], there is no father given and the registration states Episcopal. He married Margaret Johnstone.
- Alexander Mutch born 1857.
- Ann Will Mutch born 28 November 1857 in the parish of St Fergus, Banff - died 1923. She married William Kirkpatrick.
- John Mutch born 24 January 1859 in the parish of Stromness, Orkney. He married Ann MacKenzie and they had several children. This family emigrated to Canada.
- Eliza Mutch born 27 January 1862 in the parish of Stromness, Orkney - died 3 November 1883 at Deepdale in the parish of Stromness, Orkney. She married John Manson 19 January 1882 at Whomsley, Stromness. See note on Family Line [A25] for more details on this family.
- Harriet Mutch born 13 December 1863 in the parish of Stromness, Orkney. She married Louis Noble.
- Williamina Mutch born 27 March 1869 in the parish of Stromness, Orkney. She married Eustace Hadden.
- Andrew Mutch born 1881. I found Andrew in the 1881 census for Stromness in Orkney where he is 4 months old. He married Elizabeth Tait.
This information was printed from the Mutch Surname Website (www.mutches.com). If you can provide any new information, or correct any of the details above, please send it to the Webmaster at the email address posted on the website.